Feb 22, 2012

Let's save money on waffles

It amazes me that restaurants serving breakfast food, like IHOP, get so many customers.  Breakfast is often easy and inexpensive to make.  For example, this morning my wonderful ten year old son was making breakfast and setting the table without being asked.

Earlier I had made a big batch of waffles and froze some in a Ziplock bag.  The morning I made them it took little extra time to make a bigger batch and the mess was the same as a small batch of waffles.  You may want to not cook them as much as normal when you freeze them.  Do cook them all the way though.  Then when you toast them in a toaster or reheat in a microwave they can finish browning, not over cook.

Want to make your favorite waffle recipe healthier? Try replacing some of the white flour with wheat flour.  I would suggest trying a forth of the flour or less be wheat flour then adjust to what you like.  Oil is a common ingredient that can be made healthier by using olive oil and or replacing up to half of the oil with apple sauce.  Whole grains and fruit are important parts of a healthy diet. Hiding them in foods your family loves help them eat healthier.  Fresh fruit can top off waffles nicely.

Some restaurants serve breakfast all day why not try it at your home too.  Its quick, healthy and easy.  There are the waffles you can buy at the store (Eggo's) that are more expensive than making your own.  I would say they are not much easier and I know what ingredient are in my waffles.  

No comments: